When I started planning for the project I had an action plan of getting all of the foley sounds to sound as realistic and in time as possible. There wasn’t really any other objective other than for it to sound as believable as possible and as if the sounds were recorded on set rather than as foley sounds. I met my deadline on the planning which was doing a risk assessment and a spotting cue sheet. The spotting cue helped me when I was doing my production because I knew what shots I was going to get and how I was going to recreate them. When I was planning this production I realised that there are a few things that  might be difficult to record, such as a head popping, as we don’t know what that sounds like. However, we recreated some sounds as primary research and we found what we thought would sound right; a balloon popping. I could’ve planned my planning more effectively by putting more detail into the spotting cue sheet and researching more of the health and safety risks that may occur.

Before doing this project I researched in books and on the internet about recording foley sounds, the microphone techniques and also some tips on how to make certain sounds. I also did some research on the internet about how to edit the footage effectively and what not to do on the edit, such as don’t have the sounds levels too high. Additionally, we did some primary research where we tested out some of the sounds so see if they sounded like the sound we were trying to recreate. The research we did helped me on my project because I knew some microphone techniques, how to edit the footage effectively and whether the sounds we tried out worked or not to see if we could use them in our final recordings. I think I probably should’ve done more research into the project and I should’ve really done ongoing research, which I didn’t. More research could’ve helped us because when we tried to record the sounds for the footsteps they didn’t sound like they’d be on the hard floor on the film, so we should’ve researched how to make a hard floor sound more dense, as an example.

I think the project is fit for the purpose the purpose was to recreate the sounds that are made in the video, which is what we did. I think the sounds are pretty accurate to the movements. I reckon that the technical quality is quite good overall, apart from a few places. I like the fact that I have a crackly sound in the background to emphasise that it’s an old movie. I also think that the doors opening and banging against the wall worked really well as it sounds like a squeaky door. The crash is also one of my favourite parts, even thought the levels go a little too high as it’s a lot of sounds overlapping each other. I also think that the footsteps could’ve been done better as not all of them are in time with the men on the screen. Another thing I could’ve improved was the voice of the head while he’s blowing up, we could’ve got the person doing the noise to have been saying words or mumbles rather than just a lot of heavy breathing. As a result of the project I think I have gained microphone skills and audio editing skills in Adobe Audition, like controlling and cutting waveforms. Finally, the production stays between the law and ethical guidelines as there is nothing inappropriate on the production.

Conclusively, I would’ve improved my research because once I started planning and recording I didn’t really know how well some sounds worked or not, to improve it I should’ve done more primary research to know which ones worked well or not. This made the planning harder, and also the recording. We probably should’ve done more takes for the footsteps as well as not all of the footsteps are in time with the actor, so it ruins the effect of the sound.

 

Advertisements