Pre-Production

For pre-production I made a really detailed spotting cue sheet so that I knew exactly what time sounds were on made, what they are, and what I’ll be using to recreate them. This was really tedious to do because I had to keep stopping the clip at any possible sound that might be created and then think of how I could recreate it convincingly. I also did a risk assessment for the location and the type of production we’re doing, on the risk assessment I had to list quite a few possible injuries like tables and chairs being chucked around the room. I also did some research on how to record good foley sounds to make them sound effective, and also I got a few good tips on how to recreate a few sounds like rain. I also research mixing techniques and got some good tips about levelling and mixing sound.

Production

On the first day of shooting we shot most of the sounds, mainly the larger sounds. We started off with the footsteps, which was a problem because they were really hard to recreate in time with the actor, the same movements and everything. After we did several attempts of this, we tried to recreate all of the movements the wooden objects made. This was also a problem because we couldn’t get a sound that sounded dense enough to be like wood, as the table we used was hallow inside. Again, after recreations of the movements and trying to get the density right, we finally got sounds that were pretty convincing. After that, Lucy blew a balloon up to get the sounds for the head being blown up. Lucy watched the film a few times to get the amount of pumps it has, and then blew that amount of times to get it in time. That turned out well. Finally, for the crash at the end we stacked loads of tables and chairs on top of each other an pushed them over to get a good crash sound, we did this multiple times in different patterns to get different crashing sounds.

On the second day we got different sounds, smaller sounds, such as the handle being turned and the door creaking and shutting. For the handle, we played with a squeaky handle on one of the old doors in college. We also just did the same with the shutting door sound. There was a problem at first with the handle, we tried to use a tap but every time we turned it you could hear the sound of the water pouring out of the tap. With the door creaking, that was a hard sound too because all of the doors in college are really heavy and new, but we finally found an old door to use.

Post-Production

I did my editing in Adobe Audition and then put the edit into Final Cut Pro so that I could import it onto YouTube. Firstly, I organised all of the sounds into different rows naming them what they are to make it easier to edit. Once I had organised it, I put the base sounds on like the footsteps and wooden movement as first layer, then layered the rest of the sounds on top. It was really hard to get the sounds on time, especially the shorter sounds. After having all the sounds in the right place, I then sorted out the levels and made them not go over.

 

Advertisements