This week I tweaked the research I did so that I got the best marks possible. In my textual analysis’ I missed out a few explanations on why they used certain shots and sounds, so that needed to be tweaked. And also, I did some secondary research on genre and why it’s important. I found out that it’s important to both the audience and the film producers, as it helps the audience know whether they will like the film or not before they go and see it, and also gives the producers a sense into what codes and conventions they’re going to incorporate into the film. I also did some secondary research into John Carter and why the film flopped, so that I know not to do that I know how to make our film not flop. I then researched the most successful film, and why that will be similar to the film we’re making, to make myself certain that it won’t flop.
Then, Dylan gave me the footage we took at the Peak District so that I could colour correct it all. This was a hassle because I wanted the shots to have high contrast, however when I did that the colours ended up going too bright. This meant that I had to colour mask some of the colours to make certain colours pop, and not all of them. This also made it easier to make the sky and green a lot more like their colour, rather than making every colour tinted. Colour correcting this footage took a while because I couldn’t get it to how I wanted it to look, but finally I got it as close as I could. Then, once the sound and the rest of the edit was done, I put that into the edit on Dylan’s computer and colour correcting the start of it. This part was easy since I wanted the shots to be low contrast, so all I needed to do was the lower the saturation to take most of the colour out to symbolise the boring life he lead. There’s a problem with the footage that I didn’t film, because it was low lighting the footage is really grainy which means we have to put it through a de-noiser to try and help it look better.
Before the screening, I created a survey to try and get feedback on the film. This will also go towards my secondary research as it will make me know whether my film will be a flop like John Carter or a success like Avatar. From my results, I have found out that it is more like the success like Avatar. This is because it hits the target audience it’s aiming, it hits the aim of the film and it also keeps people interested throughout. Even though people were a bit confused at why the saturation at the start wasn’t right and was low contrast, I explained why and they understand. However, this is a problem because people who are going to watch it without me being there, might also be confused and it might take the focus off the film because they’re there wondering about the colouring and why it’s not as good as the rest of the film.
The screening went really well, we only got a few criticism’s from our class mates.
This is one of my classmate’s (poorly written) feedback. Against this feedback, I explained to him that the “colours very different when montage” was on purpose, to show that his life was boring in that section, and then it gets brighter just like his life when he finds the Peak District. Also, “he should jump when the base drops” has been sorted out because it was also annoying me too, so we have made Dylan jump on the rock in time with the music. “Night shots grainy” was a problem, but as I said, I didn’t film these parts and we can’t edit the noise out of the shots. That’s a big problem with the film, because it lowers the quality of the whole film. Most people said they liked the concept and the camera work, we got 90% positive feedback, which is good because you always need construct criticism anyway, so that we can improve and tweak it. Therefore, the final thing we have done this week is to tweak the odd bits on the edit to make it as good as possible.
Overall, the week has gone well with editing. The screening had a positive outcome with a generous amount of constructive criticism to help us with the final tweaks of the film.